African American Hair Growth Products That Work
It goes without saying, that the products you use on your hair have a great impact on how it looks, how well it grows, it’s texture, and how strong it is. And girl, with tons of hair products entering the market year in year out, it is important to know what works best on your hair when it comes to growth, texture, strength, and looks.
But then again, conducting research on some of best hair growth products for your African American hair can be a ginormous, tiring, expensive, and sometimes humiliating task, especially for the modern-day working woman.
So, if this sounds anything close to something you’ve experienced, you will find some amazing tips and hacks in this article. Here is a list of some popular African-American hair growth products that work.
Featured image courtesy of @naturalistasnproud
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Due to its good smell and feeling that is generated by the ethanol it naturally contains, peppermint essential oil is widely used in the manufacturing of cosmetic and hair products. This essential oil contains properties that curb inflammation and microbial irritations while increasing the circulation of blood around the scalp.
This makes it beneficial in relaxing and soothing the skin while stimulating the growth of black hair. Peppermint oil has been known to be effective boosting hair growth, stimulating elongation, and straightening the hair follicles.
It can be ingested or used in shampoos and applied topically. To get the most out of this essential oil, you only need to mix with a top-quality shampoo or conditioner and apply it directly to your clean hair and scalp.
After letting it sit for a few minutes, be sure to wash it out as a precautionary measure to avoid skin irritability and burning. Also, it is important to use the oil in its diluted form.
2. Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Sulfate free products are popularly known for their nature of causing less skin irritability. They’re considered healthier, especially for people who happen to be allergic or sensitive to sulfur-containing products. To grow your black hair long and healthier hair, it’s advisable to switch your taste to sulfate-free shampoos.
Image courtesy of @kinks2curls
Below are some examples of organic sulfate-free shampoos you may want to check out the next time you visit your beauty shop:
- Jasmine hair cleanser – It doesn’t contain any sulfates to ensure proper cleaning of your hair without any damage that can hinder its growth.
- Ogx Moroccan argan shampoo – It does not contain any sulfates but rather, it is made from natural extracts that ensure nourishment and proper maintenance of your hair’s moisture balance for easy and quick growth. It also comes with extra advantages such as fighting dandruff and preventing hair loss.
- Rustic art Aloe Vera shampoo – this one is made out of Aloe Vera, coconut, and wheat protein and other organic extracts that soften your hair and stimulate its healthy growth.
- Boutique green fresh purifying daily apple shampoo & conditioner – This type can be used as a shampoo to help in the maintenance of your scalp’s PH, thus keeping it smoother and softer.
- The body shop rainforest shampoo – It cleans oils and dirt from your hair without making it dry thus keeping the hair manageable and soft for easy growth.
3. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is another huge contender that can benefit black hair growth. Due to its benefits such as being an anti-inflammatory agent, a nerve growth promoter, and a blood circulation improver, it helps boost the growth of hair and fights hair loss. This essential oil boosts circulation and blood supply around the scalp, thus ensuring healthy hair follicles, which is what your beautiful black hair needs most for its successful damage-free growth.
Image courtesy of @solangeknowles___
Science has it, that rosemary essential oil can also help improve the rejuvenation of nerve tissues, leading to the restoration of hair growth. Use the following tips to get the best out of rosemary essential oil for hair growth:
- Offer a direct message to your scalp, using a small portion, i.e. up to 5 drops then let it stay on your scalp for 10-15 minutes
- Create a mixture with shampoo then use it normally to clean your hair
- You can also use it with your homemade shampoo
- At all costs, avoid any direct contact with your eyes
Both science and personal testimonies from people who’ve previously used this essential oil have shown that rosemary oil to work so effectively in promoting hair growth. It is also quite easy and cost-effective to acquire and use.
4. Castor Oil
It contains omega-6 which is necessary for acceleration of blood circulation to the scalp. This promotes the healthy growth of your hair. Additionally, castor oil is said to contain a compound known as ricinoleic acid, which has been proven to reduce hair loss by a significant margin in addition to increasing the flow and supply of blood around your scalp.
Image courtesy of @nikkinaturally
5. Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
Vitamin B5 is highly essential for your hair growth and general health. It enriches the hair follicles with vitamins, which promotes hair flexibility and growth. Hair growth supplement can also be used as a pain and irritation reliever, for the pain that is associated with dandruff and to clear dead skin from your scalp, allowing free circulation boosting hair growth.
6. Coconut Oil
This one is perhaps the most popular product for black hair growth on the list. It is fancied by many as a healthier alternative since it is free from preservatives and other chemical additives that more often than not, lead to mild to severe hair damage. To get the most out of this natural product, insist on virgin coconut oil, which absorbs quickly, is clear, non-sticky, and has the smell of fresh coconut.
Image courtesy of @violadavis
And there you have it. From divas to the ordinary chick across the street, the above-mentioned products have been used by many African American beauties to successfully and effectively to boost hair growth.
Most, if not all of them have been used successfully along the years, with scientific backing and many personal experiences proving their effectiveness when used right. You basically have what you need to growth that shiny beautiful black hair into a long, slayer-type hair that you can style into the look of your desire.